Thursday 4 October 2012

Uwee hee hee... Game over! Don't feed the octopus, kids!

Hey, kiddos! Galactic here!

So, about a week ago, I decided that I should stop neglecting this blog, and go and post another review.
That was a week ago.
In the time between then and now, I have been glued my computer, playing on my Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES or Super Nintendo for short) emulator.

And then finally, I decided to close my emulator and think of a game to review.
Then the emulator was re-opened, because the game was right there anyway!

So, without further adieu, I present to you my review on Final Fantasy VI (though it's called III on the SNES).

Oh, wait. Before I begin, let me just say that this game is my favourite game of all time that isn't Pokemon, so it might be quite biased. Oh, well.

Final Fantasy VI (FFVI for short) is a turn-based RPG, set in a world where things like magic is just a dream. The game follows a group of people called The Returners, who face up against the almighty empire, who wishes to rule the world through force, and obtain and harness the endless potential of magic, and use that to their advantage. It's clear who the bad guys are- you've got to take them down.

So let's begin with the review, shall we?

Firstly, Gameplay:
Well... I could say a lot about this, but there isn't really much to it. Go walk around to get from destination A to destination B. Be careful, 'cause there are monsters, and probably a boss at the end. Because of this, it's not spectacularly hard. If you can't do something grind battles for a bit until you can.
...Yeah... Not really much to say in this area. It's just like any turn-based RPG, I guess.


Though, I mean, the battles are nice, and there are a few things that make battles easier and more interesting (for example, tools, or dance, or rage, etc.), but in the end, it's still doing a lot of the same things over and over.

Ah, and another thing. The SNES port of FFVI is filled with glitches and bugs. Be wary. Some are fun, and can be exploited to make the game easier (or a lot harder), and some just mess your game up. Before you play, be sure to read up about the bugs or something on gameFAQs to be sure that you avoid the bad ones.


Now, we'll take a look at sound:
Well now, sound is a whole other story. If there's anything about this game that I love to bits (there are several things I love, but hey), it'd be the music. Even keeping in mind that it's a game from 1994, FFVI has an amazing soundtrack. Each song really sets the mood, and it really makes the game a much more enjoyable experience than it would be if it had some kind of generic soundtrack.

I'd pull out some specific examples, but I just can't. There are too many good tracks in this game.
Of course I missed you, Ultros <3

Next, we'll go on to graphics:
Well... the graphics in this game aren't spectacular. Nothing on the SNES is really spectacular graphics-wise, but I do love how this game makes use of what they have. Yes, each character is only a small sprite in and out of battle, but it's big enough to have each character show some emotion.
But, I must say, I do like the enemy sprites. They're a lot more detailed than the character sprites, and I like that, for some reason.

Finally, Plot and Characters:
Yeah, I didn't include characters on my last review 'cause there really wasn't much to say about them, but in this game, you've got... fifteen(?) different characters, each with their own stories and whatnot.

A-anyway, back on track. The plot in this game, as stated above, is pretty standard: a large collective of bad guys doin' bad things, and it's up to the good guys to stop them.
That's the plot in a very, very broad sense.
I haven't even brushed upon the intricacies on the plot, and each character's subplot (of sorts) underneath it all. I probably won't, because then I'd end up spoiling everything for everyone, but still. Take my word for it when I say that paired with everything, it's a good plot, okay?

Unfortunately, that's for the first half (or so) of the game. Around mid-way, there's a large catastrophe, and the entire world turns to hell in a hand basket. From this point on, all the characters are scattered, and it's up to you to reunite them. And I mean it when I say it's up to you. Once you reach a short point after the mid-way mark, you can go straight to the final dungeon with, like, three characters, and that's the end of that. Although it does give a lot of room to do whatever you want, it also becomes more dull, as there isn't a main driving point.

Oh, well. It's still enjoyable.

Well, let's see the ratings, shall we?

Gameplay: 2.5/5
Sound: 5/5
Graphics: 3/5
Plot: 2.5/5
Characters: 5/5


Which leads to an overall score of 3.6/5 (apparently)
I personally think that it deserves a better score than what I've given it, but okay.

Anyway, I guess that's the review for now...

Cosmic Energy for the Win!

Galactic, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment